AIESEC Life

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

...Sha na na na na (Get a job)

As many of you know, I'm currently in my third year of law school. The time when studying moves to the background and we focus on finding someone to assist us in paying off our massive student loans. Since I'm not entirely jazzed about working for a big, bad NY law firm (I hate both prestige & really, really high salaries!), I'm exploring other options. Currently, I'm considering interesting positions abroad, non-profit work and possibly even working for the U.S. gub-ment.

I was discussing my job search with my family a couple of weeks ago and my uncle said something that struck me. He noted that "kids these days" start their job search by thinking about where they want to live, then narrowing it down to where they want to work. He was saying that this is fairly recent phenomenon. In days of old, people would apply for any job, then would move wherever it required them to be.

I'm curious to know what our vast readership has to say about this. Am I abnormal for focusing first on where I want to be? Am I ahead of the times? Or is this typically how graduates find jobs these days?

Please leave a comment with your opinions!

6 Comments:

• jimmeh,

i totally did the "where do i want to live, and then i'll find a job" thing. although my search spread across between 7 and 10 large metropolises, i still wouldn't move to certain parts of the country for work.

totally with you on this one :)

-colleen

By Blogger Connie Mia, At October 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM

• I can attest to a similar outlook after completing my undergraduate degree. In fact, the true attraction of my current post is that it is outside of the United States, particularly in Oman. I was set on gaining experience in the Middle East after I graduated and my acceptance of my current post was due not only to the nature of the work but its location. The fact is, it is all part of a personal and professional growth and development plan that I am working on for myself.

Lynn Parins

By Blogger snirapnotreknipnnyldrahcir, At October 11, 2007 at 7:42 AM

• First of all, yes you are abnormal but it has nothing to do with this topic.

2nd, I would actually argue that your uncle is actually incorrect on this one. Starting your job search based on where you want to live is actually an OLD phenomenon. I would argue your uncle and whoever his posse were back in the day were actually ahead of their time if they moved for the job.

A very small percentage of the US population is NOT a transient society. An overwhelming number of Americans live within 2 hours of where they grew up their entire lives. When manufacturing plants close, how often do you hear of people moving to the next town or state to find a job? How often do you hear of them complaining their jobs were outsourced and not moving to find new ones?

One of the biggest complaints about MBAs for the longest time, not just recently, was that they would not move anywhere for their jobs. Well, if you could get a good job in a more attractive locale, why wouldn't you?

The fact is. Life is about choices. Everyone has different priorities and quality of life (this is defined differently for everyone) is the most important to most people. Some people will define this as go where the best opportunities are. Some will define as what environment will I be most happy in.

In today's age, the most educated and skilled will find their talents are so in demand, just going ANYWHERE will actually complicate their job search as the possibilities are endless and it makes their search more difficult. Narrowing down your search by location or by whatever means, provides you with more focus and allows you to be more successful in that search.

MRT

By Blogger Mike T, At October 15, 2007 at 4:48 PM

• without getting all novel length involved in this... ;) I agree.

Exciting opportunities mean job AND location that make you sparkle inside.

Good luck buddy!

-Scurvy townie

By Blogger Holly, At October 22, 2007 at 2:14 PM

• Although it wasn't exactly true for me when I moved to NYC (the draw was to work for AIESEC US - not to live in NY), living in NYC wasn't such a bad thing either. :) But when I'm ready to leave the East Coast I will definitely be searching by city (SF) first. Interesting question!

By Blogger JillO, At November 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM

• I think everyone's nailed it on the head here: it's personal choice. For me, I wanted to start with the "quality company" instead of the location. I figured (correctly so) that experience would be worth gold and will let me dictate my next move based on location AND interest/growth. The idea worked out very well.

By Blogger Sopan, At January 23, 2008 at 7:54 PM